Wednesday 9 December 2009

London and Procrastination

I am SUCH a procrastinator.

My plan for this evening is to tidy my room completely and then decorate. So far it's going badly.

Jem and I bought a mini Christmas tree each in Wilkinsons (£2.50: jackpot) and then hit the 99p Store for beads and baubles and tinsel and lights and a star to decorate it with (Yes I know I'm only going to be in my room for another week but I DON'T CARE)

So yeah. At the moment I'm putting off the whole "tidying" process by posting this and skyping Mei (WHO HASS PASSED HER DRIVING TEST!) while listening to FROSTY THE SNOWMAN. I've had that song in my head since yesterday. It's getting irritating.

London was good.

I loved the lights. And I got a kick out of knowing I wasn't a mere foreign tourist sight-seeing, I was a bona fide UK resident doing normal everyday shopping things. Tubing was fun also. I haven't done that in a while.

We got some Christmas presents out of the way, but we didn't find anything for me.
The vintage (no more caps and exclamation points...) turned out to be disappointing and everything I did like was in the £90 region. I apparently have expensive tastes that my heart/brain can't handle. Sandra reckons I unconsciously freaked out about the prices (actually, that bit wasn't unconscious at all) and then channeled that freaked-out-ness into the other more normally priced shops.

What can I say. I'm a Primark gal.


The musical was a bit of a let down. We went to see LITTLE VOICE. Starring Lesley Sharp, Marc Warren (Danny Blue from Hustle) and introducing Diana Vickers (Xfactor finalist)

This wonderfully funny, incredibly moving play tells the story of a shy, reclusive girl named Little Voie and her larger than life, out of control mother Mari.

Desperately missing her dead father, Little Voice spends her time locked in her bedroom listening to his old record colection and perfecting astonishing impersonations of famous divas, including Shirley Bassey, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland and Dusty Springfield.

When Mari starts dating small-time club agent Ray Say, she thinks he's her last chance for a better life. When Ray Say hears Little Voice sing, he thinks she's his big ticket to the big time. Little Voice just wants a normal life and to be loved.

Not everyone is going to get what they want.


Especially not the audience.

The show itself was good. I just wasn't impressed at all by the performers.

I'll shorten it for you: Ms Vickers is quite obviously not an actress. Yes, she's playing a shy, retiring character, but she should still be able to draw the focus, and she doesn't. Her voice is OK, but her imitations leave much to be desired, especially Judy Garland. And don't even get me started on her Julie Andrews...

Lesley Sharp is extremely loud, extremely over the top and very irritating by the end of it. She oveshadows everyone else (and not in a good way). And Marc Warren was disappointing. I adored him in Hustle, but here, he just seemed to have lost his charisma, and like everyone else, he was overshadowed by Ms Sharp.

Basically: we weren't impressed.

But the lights and set were amazing. I'll give them that.

What else to tell? Mmmm...

We had an interesting conversation at dinner tonight including Alan's camel tongue, salty-custardy-water, Christmas trees and a lot of fun loudness that got us stared at by every other person in the dining hall.

Fun times.

Rock on,

KATY xxxx

LISTENING TO:
So Simple - Stacie Orrico

No comments:

Post a Comment